Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Booze on Sundays: the final frontier

I was all stoked about the prospect of finally being able to buy alcohol at the grocery store on Sundays in Georgia until I received today's Atlanta Journal Constitution.  Right on page one (above the fold, no less) I read the headline I've been fearing: "Booze bill not a done deal."  Guess what the subhead is?  "Christian Coalition clear about opposition."

Curses!  My arch-nemesis is making their stand.

Here's what I don't understand: How does my desire to buy a 12 pack of Smirnoff Ice at the local Publix on a Sunday have any effect whatsoever on their desire to celebrate their personal brand of Jesus?  I just don't get it.

I think it's great that other people have faith.  Good on ya' peeps.  Go to church, sing some hymns, do your thing.  I, however, don't share your beliefs.  And when you tell me I shouldn't be allowed to exercise my rights on a Sunday because it violates your faith, well, we've got a problem. 

Yes, I can plan ahead.  I can buy my beer on Saturday or during my regular weekly grocery run.  But why do I have to?  Because of you & your God.  That's my beef.  I have zero problem with people whose religious beliefs differ from mine.  None whatsoever.  But when those other people's beliefs spill over into my everyday life?  Ding ding ding....problem!

I have a second point I'd like you to consider:  It's perfectly legal to buy liquor by the drink in bars and restaurants on Sunday in many parts of Georgia.  So say I want a drink, but my liquor cabinet at home has run dry (not likely, but stick with me here).  In order to get a drink, I have to get in my car and drive to the local watering hole.  And then I have to DRIVE HOME you jackwagons!  Do you see the problem here?  I'm not saying I go out drinking & driving every Sunday.  I don't.  But there are a lot of less organized folks out there who see only one way to drink on your Lord's day.  (I should note that I firmly oppose drinking & diving, and I generally cab it or walk home when I've been drinking.  However, many of my fellow soused citizens don't have the same restraint).

There is some resistance to Sunday sales from other groups, such as the liquor lobby.  To them I say this:  Nobody says you have to be open on Sundays.  If you don't think you'll make money, stay closed.  But don't deny me the right to buy booze on Sunday because it doesn't fit into your business model.

I guess my real point is that you can't protect the rights of one group (the Christian Coalition or liquor store owners) by infringing on the rights on another (me and my fellow tipplers).  Right?  But may be that makes a little too much sense for the legislature these days.

3 comments:

  1. Preach it, Sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more on all counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CR ... "Preach it Sister" was my line : )

    So i guess I'm left with...Damn Straight! Amen.

    ReplyDelete